The European Accident Statement

A traffic accident can happen quickly, unfortunately even on vacation. In order to be able to react accordingly, learn more about the application of the European Accident Statement (EAS) and its differences in our neighbour countries.

When and how to complete the European Accident Statement?  

In the event of a road accident, it is always advisable to fill in the European Accident Statement  with the other party involved in the accident. Especially if the parties have decided to settle the matter without the police, and no one has been injured in the accident.

These forms are generally provided free of charge by motor insurers. It is available in various languages. The content and structure are identical in all languages.

The parties involved must fill in the European Accident Report comprehensibly and precisely. This includes their contact details and those of witnesses, as well as a sketch of the accident situation. Photographs of the accident are recommended.

The accident report must be signed by all parties involved in the accident. This signature does not recognize fault or liability, but only the veracity of the facts recorded or checked off in the report. Each party receives a signed copy.

Why is it so important to fill in the accident report?

The European Accident Statement (EAS) is an invaluable aid: it contains all the information needed to settle the claim. It also overcomes language barriers, as it is identical throughout Europe. So make sure you have a one in your glove compartment before every trip!

How important is the accident report in assessing liability?

Although the form of the accident report is identical throughout Europe, its application and importance in assessing liability differ from country to country. 

Here’s what you need to know about Switzerland and its neighbour countries:

The EAS can be used to clarify the question of liability. However, a police report, which is particularly recommended in the event of injuries, will always take precedence over the European Accident Report. 
The accident must be reported to the relevant insurer as soon as possible.
The EAS can only be completed for traffic accidents with clear liability and no injuries, and only if all vehicles involved are registered in Germany. All parties involved in the accident must be able to identify themselves, and may not leave the scene of the accident until they have reached an agreement.
In all other cases, the police must be called.
The damage must then be reported immediately to the relevant insurer, no later than the third workday after the accident.
The EAS can only be completed for traffic accidents involving purely material damage. In all other cases, the police must be called.
The EAS is the relevant document for traffic accidents involving material damage and accidents involving injured people.
Liability is assessed exclusively on the basis of the EAS. There is no obligation to report the accident to the police. The European Accident Report takes precedence over all other documents. 
The European Accident Report must be sent to the relevant insurer within 5 days after the accident.

nbi-ngf [Online]. European accident report. Available: